I admittedly have a lot of vices (chocolate, dirty martinis, Chanel). But one of my most unshakable vices is actually a healthy one. I am addicted to NPR. I listen to it every morning on the way to work (Fresh Air) and every night (Marketplace) with one of the fantasy loves of my life Kai Ryssdal.
Today on marketplace the theme was risk in business and I was delighted to hear they would be speaking to one of the most successful women in the fashion industry, Tory Burch. She is just the best. She just gets the perfect balance of leather and gold hardware appropriate for handbags.
She is an inspiration to all business women everywhere. Here are some interesting things about Tory Burch that I did not know that make me love her even more than I did yesterday, and also, my favorite stuff from her summer and pre-fall collections (some of which is on sale!)
1. Tory has three brothers and she never thought being a woman was particularly more difficult than being a man, in business or in life. I think this is an important message to send out to young business women everywhere. She does too. Tory has started a fund to give female entrepreneurs micro-loans to start small businesses in the US. Very cool!
2. Tory Burch the brand brings in 800 million dollars a year in revenue.
3. Tory Burch has 72 stores worldwide. She said even though the financial risk of opening up her first store in New York was a lot higher than her 72’nd store in Singapore, she still feels the same about of nerves when doing so. Her humbleness is as endearing as her style!
4. Tory Burch has only been in business for 8 years. Eight years!
5. A year into Tory’s launch, Oprah asked her to be on her show as “one of the next big things in fashion” and the next day she had 8 million hits on her website. Tory said that when looking to open stores in new locations her team looks at where her e-commerce business is coming from. Smart!
Sounds like a dream come true to me. Thanks for reading, more to come!